Monday, September 8, 2008

Nanjing Mountain Bike Race

Yesterday race was difficult. I am still feeling sore on my leg today. We took a bus from Suzhou with a total of 15 participant for all the 4 categories (men, women, student and senior). I wish I could join the senior categories but too bad, I am not at the age yet. hehe...

About 6:40am, loading the bikes frame onto the bus. We actually disassemble both the wheels and load the wheel separately.
In the bus, right at the back are bike frames stack together.

Reaching Nanjing by 9:30am.

We recce the race course before lunch. After the recce (rode 35km, 15km from my place to the bike store, 20km the recce plus going to a town for lunch. Lunch was pretty good, just 20rmb each. Dishes are tofu, duck, pork, fish, 2 greens, 2 bottles of coke. We need all these to provide us the energy during the race at 2pm.


We registed at 1:45pm with a fee of just 10rmb (S$2). I understand Singapore races cost at much as S$20. That's too much. Anyway, race started at 2:40pm for men open.

A 1.2km uphill of rocky road. As many do not have experience going up on such road, one a person stops, he will block the rest and everyone slow down. I am no good at it so I started slow.

Look at how steep the slope can be. Most of us are not able to cycle up except those solid one.
After the rocky road, it is another 3.5km of up hil on pavement road... siong... it doesn't look steep but try it out, you will know what is the difficulty.

After the pavement uphill, here come the interesting part. A 2.5km down hill on dirt track with many turns. One side is the wall of the mountain the other side is the cliff. Must be very alert and careful with guts and good brake so that no mishap can happen. No picture of it but here is the end of the dirt track.


For men open, a total of 1.2km rocky uphill + 3 x 3.5km uphill + 2 x 2.5km downhill dirt track (16.7km)

The race ended with prize giving ceremony at 4:45pm. We left Nanjing by 5:30 and reached Suzhou by 8:30pm. Went to KFC for dinner and cycled back home at 9:30pm. Washed up and sleep by 10:30pm. Good weekend but tiring. I will need more of this type of weekend.

2 comments:

mesumji said...

Hello!!
i'm very intresting in mountainbike sports! i took some pictures and ride also my self! im wondering is there a Mountainbike Club in Nanjing? Because im located longer in Nanjing. Please write me back. would be really nice! my blog is http://mesumsport.blogspot.com and there is also my e-mail adress!

thank you very much!!

Mesum

AikPeng said...

hi,

i do know a few riding club in nanjing but they are mainly chinese bbs. i am not aware of any english club but i believe there are. anyway, i will send you an email.

have fun riding.